SleepKid.com has spent thousands of hours researching and comparing products relating to sleep. We are serious about recommending the correct products for your individual needs. We take in more data points than just our own and encourage our users feedback. At times we are compensated for the links you click at no cost to you. Learn more on our disclosure page here.
If you travel for business and have trouble sleeping, I highly recommend a sleep mask. As the perfect solution for light sleepers, sleeping masks work by blocking out the light. Whether the source of light is from a car passing by or the airplane’s cabin lights, no light interrupts your sleep. By creating a dark zone around your eyes, the eye mask enables you to enjoy a restful sleep.
To mask external noises, some sleep masks come with free earplugs. This allows you to have uninterrupted sleep.
Top picks for Sleeping Masks
ALASKA BEAR Natural Silk Sleep Mask & Blindfold – best value and editors choice
Pwugwes Sleep Mask – lightweight, affordable with no pressure eye shades
Jersey Slumber 100% Silk Sleep Mask – suitable for any sleeping position
PrettyCare 3D Sleep Mask – great for adults and kids alike
Unimi Sleep Mask – comfortable and comes with a travel pouch
#1. ALASKA BEAR
Looking for a sleeping mask ideal for insomnia, and migraine sufferers? Well, you are in luck. This eye mask is what you are looking for. Made from top quality natural mulberry silk, the material is super smooth to the touch. This assures you of comfort as you sleep.
Not only that. It is breathable and cool on your eyes. As the perfect travel accessory, it is hypoallergenic. This is great for people with sensitive skin. The two straps are also made from mulberry silk. Both are adjustable and latex free. This means no velcro snagging at your hair or pillowcase as you sleep. Also, the straps prevent the eye mask from slipping off.
I loved the ingenious flap around the nose. When you flip the flap upward, it acts as a seal. No light can stream below the mask and distract you as you sleep. Now, you can enjoy the benefits of a total blackout. Whether you are traveling, sleeping at home or in a hotel room, enjoy a restful sleep.
- Use of natural mulberry silk – it is smooth and soft to the touch
- Comes with dual tension adjustable bands – offers the best and prevents the eye mask from slipping off
- No velcro– no snagging at the pillowcase or your hair
- Does not mess with your night cream or moisturizer – thanks to the smooth silk
- Available in black – blocks out all light
How a Sleep Mask Can Help
Light, whether it comes from the sun or artificial source, can affect your natural production of the hormone melatonin. If you are travelling or do not have the ability to set up your room with blackout curtains, than a sleeping mask can help facilitate your sleep-wake cycle.
Suitable for men and women, the Pwugwes Sleep Mask is a stylish and 3D contoured eye mask. Designed with soft polyester fabric on both sides, the material blocks out all light. This creates a dark zone around your eyes. As a result, you can enjoy a good night sleep.
To allow for free eye movement, the eye space is wide and deep. Unlike a conventional flat mask, this Sleep Mask allows for free eye movement. Also, it never smudges your make-up. Breathable and lightweight, it has two air vents on each side. This keeps air circulating in and out. As a result, your sleep is enhanced keeping you relaxed.
Anti-fade and antibacterial, the sleep mask meets OEKO-TEX standards. With fully adjustable straps, adjustments range from 18 to 25 inches. Available with 3 noise-canceling earplugs, the eye mask is suitable for an afternoon nap, and meditation. It is also great for dry eye, migraine and insomnia sufferers too.
Available in black, cleaning the eye mask is easy. I hand washed mine in cool water. To remove makeup and other stains, use a mild detergent like I did. Afterward, place on a flat surface to dry. Due to the 3D contoured design, I felt the inside seam on the side of my face. This is uncomfortable.
Best Features of this Eye Mask
- Comfortable – the 3D contoured design and adjustable straps allow for the best fit
- Easy to clean – hand wash and use a mild detergent
- Wider eye space – allows for comfortable eye movement
- Breathable material – allows air to circulate close to the eyes
- Black in color – blocks out all night. This allows for a good night sleep
#3. Jersey Slumber – 100% Silk
Want to enjoy a deep sleep, anywhere, anytime? You can do so with this mask. Specially designed with top quality natural silk, the eye mask is soft to the skin. I actually loved how it keeps your eyes relaxed as you sleep.
Designed to block out all the light, you can get a full night sleep waking up energized.With rub minimum comfort, the mask blocks light without compressing your eyes.
Fitted with pain-free adjustable straps, it is comfortable and fits well despite the sleeping position. Also, the adjustable strap prevents the mask from slipping off when adjusting your sleeping position.
Available in black, Jersey Slumber is perfect for migraine and insomnia sufferers. To keep dry air out, the mask is hypoallergenic. This allows oxygen to circulate in, out and around your eyes.
The adjustable straps are comfortable and pain-free. Problem is the plastic adjuster comes off easily. With no way to replace it, the mask loses meaning.
- Top quality natural silk – smooth to the touch, it is breathable and keeps dry air out around your eyes
- Lightweight and comfortable – comes with adjustable straps for the best fit. It is pain-free too
- Multi-use – can be used at home, train or when traveling by air
- Ergonomic design – does not tangle your hair nor does it place pressure around the eyes
- Helps improve your energy levels – it blocks all light out allowing you to enjoy your afternoon nap or night sleep
#4. PrettyCare 3D Sleep Mask
With large eye cavities made with advanced 3D technology, this sleep mask does not compress your eyes. Instead, the eye mask fits all sizes and offers room for eye movement. Weighing 0.4 ounces, it is lightweight and comfortable. That is not all. It blocks out all light creating a dark zone. This allows you to enjoy a good night sleep.
For the smooth edges, PrettyCare uses precision CNC lathes. This creates a firm joint for added comfort. Built to meet OekoTex standards, the mask is anti-bacterial, anti-mite and anti-fade.
When it comes to cleaning, I loved how easy it was. All I did was place the eye mask in a laundry bag and into the machine. The reason I used a laundry bag is to prevent deformation. As you already know, the PrettyCare 3D Sleep Mask has a 3D no oppression design. To maintain this, place the mask in a laundry bag.
Apart from how easy it is cleaning the mask, you can clean it repeatedly without fear of deforming it. Although low rebound memory foam is used to provide a 3D design, it is a bit stiff around the eyes.
What I liked about this Eye Mask
- Easy to fit – comes with an adjustable long strap with a 3.5-inch range
- Spacious – available in a 3D design that allows eye movement as you sleep. No dark circles or puffy eyes
- Lightweight – weighs 0.4 ounces
- Blocks out all light – the eye mask comes with a low rebound memory
- Masks distract noises – comes with 2 earplugs allowing you to enjoy a good night sleep anywhere
#5. Unimi Sleep Mask
As a third generation 3D contoured sleep mask, Unimi has a stealth nose. This allows for best fit on the bridge of the nose regardless of the wearer. The nose section has an invisible foam preventing light from streaming in.
As a dual layer eye mask, one layer is made from elastic polyester while the second layer from low rebound memory foam. Thanks to the dual layers and the elastic soft strap, it does not snag your hair.
With an improved blinder, there is more space for eye movement. Unlike conventional eye masks which compress your eyes, this model does not affect your eyelashes. Most traditional eye masks I have come across are either suited for adult males or females.
For the Unimi Sleep Mask, it is ideal for adults and kids too. Whether the wearer is napping at home or on the plane, it creates a dark zone allowing you to enjoy your nap.
What I liked
- Comfortable around your eyes – the 3D contoured shape allows for a wider and deeper space
- Soft and smooth to the skin – the eye mask is made of skin-friendly low rebound foam and fine fabric
- Allows you to sleep better – the mask is made of two layers blocking out light from your eyes
- Ideal for adults and kids alike – ideal for your home or when traveling
- Does not snag your hair – comes with a soft trap and a hidden velcro for fast attachment
- As you sweat at night, the black color can bleed on your sheet. I haven’t found a good solution for this but you need to be aware especially if you have white cotton sheets.
Does an eye mask actually help you sleep better?
Yes, an eye mask can help you sleep better. As you know, light can distract you when sleeping. Whether it is from a car passing by or the airplane cabin lights, this interrupts your sleep.
To prevent this, I recommend a good sleep mask made from natural silk or polyester. As a soft and smooth material to the touch, it prevents light from streaming in allowing you to enjoy a restful sleep.
Okay, but why is sleep so important?
Sleep plays a crucial role in your physical health. For starters, it allows your body to heal and repair muscles and blood vessels. This is important especially if you lift weights at the gym. Sleep helps to lower the risk of certain health conditions. They include heart problems, diabetes, and others. Also, it helps to reduce stress, improve your mood and allows you to rest and rejuvenate your energy levels.
Why is having less melatonin a bad thing?
Melatonin is a neuro hormone produced by the body to facilitate sleep. It works by regulating the sleep-wake cycle. If melatonin is insufficient in your body, it leads to sleep disorders. Melatonin is affected by light – natural or artificial like LED lights. Since melatonin loves darkness, a good sleep mask is recommended.
Benefits of Wearing a Sleep Mask
- Improves your sleep quality
- Helps you fight migraines and insomnia
- Safer than sleeping medication
- Prevents dry eyes by improving circulation
- Affordable than blackout curtains
Whether you are traveling on an airplane or sleeping in a hotel room, exposure to light suppresses your melatonin levels. This keeps you awake all night meaning no sleep at all. To counter this, sleep experts recommend the use of natural silk mask.
Sleep Masks Compared
|Product||Comfort & Fit||Blockage||Rating||Our Review||Buy Now|
|ALASKA BEAR||Great||Total||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Pwugwes||Great||Total||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Jersey Slumber 100% Silk||Good||Adequate||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|PrettyCare 3D Sleep Mask||Not for all sleeping position||Total||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Unimi Sleep Mask||Great||Adequate||Read Full Review||Check Price|
If you travel a lot, you can enjoy restful sleep even on a plane. All you need is a light blocking mask blindfold for complete darkness. These are made from many materials like natural silk or polyester. There are also some that are hypoallergenic. This is beneficial to people with sensitive skin and dry eye sufferers. Eye masks like these work to help improve your sleep-wake cycle.
Learn how we rate sleep masks.