SleepKid.com has spent thousands of hours researching and comparing products relating to sleep. We are serious about recommending the correct products for your individual needs. We take in more data points than just our own and encourage our users feedback. At times we are compensated for the links you click at no cost to you. Learn more on our disclosure page here.
Quality sleep is a tool for our body to rest and recover. Aside from our mattresses and pillows, box springs can also improve the quality of our sleeping environment. Box springs also help prolong the life of our mattress by providing a support system without the need for bed frames. Below, I expanded on the reasons for my top picks. I also included relevant information about box springs and what you should consider when buying one.
Top Picks for Box Springs
Zinus – No assembly box spring
Classic Brands – Most diverse selection
HOMUS – Best metal box spring
Signature Sleep – Best budget box spring
#1. Zinus 9 Inch High Profile BiFold Box Spring
The Zinus BiFold Box Spring is an excellent choice if you want one that doesn’t require assembling.
The Zinus is shipped in a box and all that you have to do is open the box and slide out the folded box spring. Unfold it, and you can immediately place your mattress on top of it.
The bi-fold box spring is also well protected inside a bubble wrap to assure you that the product is safe during transit. The instructions that come with the box spring are easy to follow. There are also pictures that you can use as a reference.
Best Features of Zinus:
- Mobility – Zinus is a great box spring to have if you live in a house where moving things around is a challenge. The box spring is packaged to ensure that even hauling it up a steep and narrow stair won’t pose a problem.
- Classic Design – The Zinus is designed to have the look of a traditional box spring. This classic design will complement whatever mattress you prefer, whether you favor a soft foam mattress or a medium-firm memory foam mattress.
- Generous Warranty – When you purchase the Zinus, you are also getting a 5-year warranty. The length of the warranty is also a testament to the durability of the product you are buying.
- Non-slip Frame – The steel frame comes with a fabric cover. This non-skid fabric works with your mattress encasement to keep it in place once you’ve positioned it in your box spring.
Buying Tip: Check for a Warranty
Different manufacturers have different warranty coverages. Read the fine print and check what is covered under the warranty if you want to get the best deal possible. The length of the warranty is also an indication of the quality of the box spring you are purchasing. A manufacturer is less likely to give an extended warranty if they know that their product is not durable.
#2. Classic Brands Instant Foundation 8-Inch Box-Spring
If you are looking for a box spring for your family, the Classic Brands is the one you should be checking. Classic Brands gives you the option of either getting your box spring made of wood or in metal. They also give you a choice between a low profile or a high profile one. This brand also has a selection of box springs in almost any size you may be looking for (Twin Size, Twin XL, Full Size, Queen Size, King Size, California King).
Here are more reasons why you will love Classic Brands:
- Strong and Sturdy – Classic Brands box spring is constructed with strength and sturdiness in mind. The box spring foundation is made strong so that it can support even the heavier types of mattresses like latex mattresses or those made with high-density foam. Its durable frame also helps prolong the life of your mattress by preventing it from sagging.
- Easy to Assemble – You don’t need to be an expert to assemble the Classic Brands. The instructions are simple and easy to follow, just slip the wooden slats in place. You won’t complicated tools since most of the tools that you need for assembling already comes with the package.
- High-Quality Materials – The foundation of the Classic Brands is made from handcrafted solid spruce by the Pennsylvania Amish. It also comes with a removable cotton drawstring cover that coordinates well with most mattresses.
- 5 Star Customer Service – Classic brands have a dedicated customer service department that is open 7 days a week to provide you with assistance with all of your queries.
Buying Tip: Check If the Fabric is Hypoallergenic
Purchase a box spring with a hypoallergenic cover. This reduces the chance of allergens in your bed. There are also comfort layers, box spring covers and mattress covers with anti-dust mite properties.
#3. HOMUS 9 Inch Steel Structure Box Spring
The Homus 9 inch High Profile Box Spring is the box spring of choice when it comes to steel structure box springs. The sturdily constructed box spring makes for a heavy and tough support system for your mattress. This durable design also doubles the life expectancy of the box spring.
Here are more reasons why you will love HOMUS:
- Easy Storage – The foldable design of the HOMUS makes it easy to move and store. It also doesn’t take up a lot of space, making it ideal for those who doesn’t have a lot of storage space to spare. You have to undo the metal slats and your box spring is ready to store.
- Stable and Noise-Free – With a foundation made of 100% premium heavy-gauge steel, the HOMUS promises to provide you with a stable and non-squeak base for your mattress. The metal frame is covered with a breathable fabric spring cover lending it more elegance.
- Innovative Design – The HOMUS is not only made with quality materials, the designs are also trendy and wallet-friendly. It is designed to complement your mattress, whether you have a standard spring mattress, a Tuft & Needle Mattress or a Saatva mattress. This design allows you to assemble the entire set-up with just 12 screws without compromising the integrity of your box spring.
#4. Signature Sleep Box Spring
If you want to get a new box spring but you are mindful of your budget, then the Signature Sleep box spring is the one you should consider. Their full-size box spring promises to be at par with the more expensive alternatives.
Here are more reasons why you will love Signature Sleep:
- Compact Design – The Signature Sleep box spring is designed to be as compact as possible. This means that you can easily transport it around your house, even around tight corners and narrow doorways.
- Trendy Cover – The foundation of Signature Sleep comes with its removable cover. The 100% polyester cover is made in a trendy wave design.
- No fuss assembly – This box spring assembles effortlessly without compromising design and durability. The sturdy iron foundation makes it a reliable base for your mattress.
Things to Consider When Box Spring Shopping
Desired Height of Bed
One of the most common mistakes that people commit when buying a box spring is not considering the height of their mattress. Since a box spring adds height to your bed, combining high profile mattresses and box springs may result into a bed that is too high for you. Purchase a box spring that will give you the ideal height of bed when combined with your mattress.
Type of Materials Used
Always consider the type of material the box spring is made of. Make sure that the materials used will give you the best value for your money. Is it made with durable materials? Will this product last for a long time? If the box spring comes with a fabric cover, check if the cover is made of hypoallergenic fabric or if it is dust mite resistant. Keep in mind that there are also split box springs where you need to combine two box springs to make up for the size of your mattress. Remember that value for money doesn’t mean that the cheapest one is the best. Be wary if the cheapest one looks almost the same as the more expensive one. Read all of its features and find their differences for you to make an informed decision.
Different manufacturers have different warranty coverage’s. Read the fine print and check what is covered under the warranty if you want to get the best deal possible. The length of the warranty is also an indication of the quality of the box spring you are purchasing. A manufacturer is less likely to give an extended warranty if they know that their product is not durable.
All Box Springs Compared
|Product||Ease of Assembly||Rating||Our Review||Buy Now|
|Zinus 9 Inch High Profile BiFold Box Spring||Great||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Classic Brands Instant Foundation 8-Inch Box-Spring||Good||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|HOMUS 9 Inch Steel Structure Box Spring||Good||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Signature Sleep Box Spring||Great||Read Full Review||Check Price|
Common Box Spring Questions
Do you need a box spring for a new mattress?
A box spring is highly recommended for new mattresses. Box springs provide stability and support to your mattress and prevent it from sagging. It also prolongs the life of your mattress. A stable support also means that your mattress is level and can provide you with comfort, and a good night’s sleep.
What is the ideal bed height?
This is a subjective question because a bed height will depend on the one using it. The best thing to do is try and imagine how high the bed will be after combining the height of your mattress and box spring. The combined height of the box spring and mattress should be one that won’t require you to pull yourself up to get into your bed.
Can box springs house allergens, dust mites, and bed bugs?
Yes, your bedroom can house allergens whether you have a box spring, a platform bed or an adjustable bed. This is one reason why the fabric of your box spring encasement or box spring cover is essential. Purchase a box spring with a hypoallergenic cover. This reduces the chance of allergens in your bed. There are also comfort layers, box spring covers and mattress covers with anti-dust mite properties.
Which one is the best for my Memory Foam Mattress?
If you have a memory foam mattress, choose a standard box spring with a strong and sturdy foundation. Unlike older design mattresses that utilize coils, a memory foam mattress helps alleviate pain in the pressure points of the body. For a memory foam to work properly, it has to be level at all times. Memory foam mattresses are also heavier compared to soft foam mattresses or innerspring mattresses. This means that your foundation should be strong enough to support your mattress. You can also use a bunkie board to provide additional support to your box spring.
How We Review Box Springs
All box springs are reviewed by 3 metrics:
- Ease of Assembly
- Durability & Support
- Box Spring Cover
Learn more about how we rate box springs.